Wednesday, November 25, 2009

The Final Stretch

There are 5 weeks left to the year and I have 6 books left to read. As I am taking the last week of the year off from work, I would say I have a 70% chance of completing the 52 Books in 52 Weeks Challenge. This has probably been the year I have thought the most about what I am reading, what I have read, and what I am going to read. My brain is full. I do happen to have 6 books out from the library so if I don't make it, it's not for lack of books.

This year, I have at last learned to set aside sucky books! That only took 33 years from when I learned to read. I have felt a certain pull to read only books I might then find worth writing about. This is not a normal consideration. I think I am about done with the endless parade of series in the genre fiction I read. It is damn hard to find mystery novels, particularly period mystery novels. I am partial to the first half of the twentieth century.

I have decided to really ruthlessly weed out my shelves. There are a lot of books in there I felt I ought to read as they are classics or would improve my mind. I just don't have the space for things I ought to read. Or for things I'll never read again. Or for things the public library has. I shall probably drop the culled titles at the library for their fundraiser. It's easier than dealing with trading them at used bookstores. My house is just not getting any bigger and the chaos is pretty out of control.

No comments:

Post a Comment