Sunday, November 29, 2009

Book 47: Succubus Heat

The 4th Succubus book is much of the same-- demonic politics, sex, coffee, sex, unrequited love, sex, moral ambiguity, sex, and books, now with cats. I like most of those things. At the end of the previous installment, Seth and Georgina broke up-- she didn't want to have sex and drain his life force, she was afraid of him growing old and dying. Oh, and then he started screwing someone else and gave the whole lame ass line about how he didn't mean to and it just happened. That line is now, and always will be, total horseshit.

Fresh from her breakup with Seth, Georgina's attitude is so bad that she is put into timeout by her demonic boss. In other words, Jerome sends her to Vancouver as a spy for a rival demon, Cedric. While Georgina is on her evil commute, Jerome is summoned. With his powers bound, all of Jerome's minions are stripped of their abilities. It's an interesting plot twist that allows Georgina and Seth to finally boff like bunnies. Dirty, dirty bunnies. Even though Seth has a girlfriend. And Georgina has a boyfriend. Between mattress dances, Georgina has to do some snooping around to find out who bound Jerome, so she can free him before Hell appoints a new Evil Boss. Better the devil you know, I guess. I did call the binder, by the way. EARLY. It was not quite as apparent at whose behest that was done.

I did enjoy this book, but my enthusiasm is definitely waning for the series. I would like to see this limited to 7 books. Seven is a nice symbolic sort of number. There have been hints all along that Georgina, despite her deal with the devil, can some how be redeemed. I am a big believer in redemption, so I would like to see that happen. In all the Faustian, Soul Selling stories I've read or seen, the deal is presented as final. I don't buy it. I don't buy "Once Saved, Always Saved" and I don't buy the flip side of that either. So THERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment