Thursday, June 18, 2009

Book 23: Lord of Scoundrels

Now that I've admitted I like Romance Novels I will probably review more of them. Which means I will have a chance at whipping through the 52 books in 52 weeks thing. I tend to read them pretty quickly.

I selected this one because the Smart Bitches recommend Loretta Chase very highly. I haven't been reading as much romance as usual, and I was kinda jonesing for something escapist that didn't have vampires or zombies in it. This book exceeded my expectations. I will say that my favorite part (outside of the sheets) was when the heroine SHOT the hero. She Shot Him! He sort of had it coming, and it certainly helped adjust his attitude. And I do not recommend this as a method of bring men around to appropriate behavior in real life. Mostly.

The heroine, Jessica, is independent and capable without crossing over into the sort of goofy recklessness that often leads the heroines of historicals to do one of 2 things. The first is Don Trousers and Try to Pass as a Man Which Just Makes the Hero Wonder If He Is Gay. Not that there's anything wrong with that. And frankly, it's one of the plot devices I can't get enough of. It's like finding out Santa Claus is real, and that he delivers massive orgasms to naughty, naughty girls. The second is Rush Into Something Dangerous Without A Pistol and Get Kidnapped and Then Rescued. Not such a fan of that.

Jess not only does not get kidnapped, she beats the crap out of a guy. And the hero, Sebastian, has to pull her off of him! So awesome. Again, I do not endorse people beating the crap out of home intruders. But since I am about the size of The Lollipop Guild, I live vicariously. I like an ass kicking heroine.

There were a couple of minor plot lines in this that were sort of dropped and hastily resumed. The ending felt a little rushed on account of that.

Maybe if I hadn't been rushing myself, I would not have dropped it into the bathtub. Oh yes, I read in the tub and my proclivity for accidentally dropping books into the drink is the strongest argument I know against the kindle. If I dropped a kindle in the tub, I would lose my mind I'd be so enraged with myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment